How to Cover a Tattoo with Makeup
Sure, you love showing off your awesome tattoo to your friends and peers, but you know that if your great-grandmother ever saw it, she'd go into cardiac arrest faster than you can say, "It's only temporary!" Whether you want to hide your tattoo from conservative relatives, cover it up for a wedding or special event, or look more professional in your next job interview, you can quickly and easily cover a tattoo with makeup if you know what approach to take.
Using Regular Makeup
Cleanse your skin.Before you begin, it's a good idea to cleanse your tattooed skin with a wipe or a little facial wash. If you have a large tattoo, take a shower or bath. This prepares the skin to receive the makeup.
- Keep in mind that you shouldn't attempt to cover a tattoo with makeup unless it's fully healed, otherwise you could ruin the ink or develop an infection.
- Tattoos can take as long as 45 days to heal completely. Don't attempt to cover a tattoo that is fresh and hasn't peeled yet.
Apply a light concealer.Take a heavy coverage liquid or cream concealer that's several shades lighter than your natural skin tone. Alternatively, use a color-correcting concealer.
- Use a makeup sponge or stippling brush to apply the concealer to the tattoo. Try to dab or blot the concealer onto the skin instead of rubbing it. Rubbing simply pushes the product around rather than adding coverage.
- As a result, blotting will also help you to avoid wasting too much of your concealer. Once you've coated the tattoo in an even layer, wait a minute or two for it to dry. Don't worry if the tattoo is still visible.
Add foundation.Choose a foundation that matches your skin tone perfectly. Spray foundations are the easiest to work with and provide the most even coverage, but liquid or cream foundations will also work.
- If you're using a spray foundation, give the can a good shake then hold it approximately 6 to 8 inches (15.2 to 20.3 cm) away from the tattoo. Spray the foundation in spurts, rather than spraying in a continuous stream. This will prevent you from being too heavy-handed with it. Spray until you have evenly covered the tattoo, then give it 60 seconds to set.
- If you're using a liquid or cream foundation, use a makeup sponge or stippling brush to apply the product, using the same blotting technique you used with the concealer. If necessary, use your fingers to smooth out the top layer and blend around the edges.
Cover it with translucent powder.Use a large powder brush to apply a layer of translucent powder over the foundation. This provides a matte finish.
Spitz the makeup with setting spray.When you are done layering the foundation, concealer, and powder, finish with a light spritz of makeup setting spray. This sets the coverage and will prevent the makeup from rubbing off onto any clothes or furniture. Allow the area to dry before touching it or attempting to cover it with clothing.
Do a trial run before the event, if desired.If you plan on covering up your tattoo for a specific event such as a job interview or wedding, it's a good idea to do a trial run beforehand. This will give you a chance to practice your technique and ensure that your makeup is the right color for your skin tone.
Trying Specialized Products
Use tattoo cover-up.There are many products on the market designed specifically for covering up tattoos. These products are highly effective, due to their heavy coverage and broad selection of colors, which can match nearly any skin tone. The only downside to these products is their cost. Some of the best products include:
- Tattoo Camo:This tattoo camouflage brand provides a complete kit for covering your tattoo. The product comes in a tube which can be rubbed directly over the tattooed skin with no need for brushes or sponges. The kit also provides a special cleanser for removing the product. The kit is available from their website.
- Dermablend:Dermablend is a fantastic product which was originally designed by dermatologists to cover up scars and skin conditions. It is hypoallergenic, making it an excellent option for people with sensitive skin. It can last for up to 16 hours. It is also available online.
- Covermark:Covermark Tattoo Removal is another tattoo removal kit, which is available in variety of shades. The kit includes a skin primer, a liquid foundation, a matte powder, and a special applicator.
Try stage makeup.Stage makeup provides extremely heavy and long-lasting coverage and is good for tattoos covering large areas of skin. You can use a color-correcting concealer underneath the stage makeup to hide the tattoo.
- It's possible to buy stage makeup in a variety of skin colors, but you can also use plain white makeup to cover up the tattoo, then use your regular foundation on top to match your skin tone.
- Some of the most popular and widely available stage makeup brands include Killer Cover, Ben Nye, and Mehron.
Get an airbrush tan.If your tattoo is quite small or light in color, it may be possible to cover it up with an airbrush spray tan. These spray tans not only darken the skin but also even out skin tone and cover imperfections.
- Call into your local tanning salon to see if they offer airbrushing services. Show them your tattoo and ask them if they think the treatment would effectively cover it up.
- At-home spray tan products such as Sally Hansen airbrush legs can also be used to try to cover up small, light-colored tattoos.
QuestionWhat herbal ingredients can be used effectively to remove tattoos or break down ink pigments?
Tattoo ArtistTattoo ArtistExpert AnswerIngredients like lemon, honey, salt, and aloe vera can be used to lighten tattoos and dark marks or scars.Thanks!
QuestionWhere can I find Tattoo Camo around Pretoria and for how much?
Tattoo ArtistTattoo ArtistExpert AnswerTry buying these products online if you can't find any in makeup stores or costume stores.Thanks!
QuestionCan makeup cover black and blue marks?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, it can. But if the black and blue marks are from abuse, don't try and hide them. Call an abuse hotline and get help.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you cover a tattoo on your forearm?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThey sell tattoo sleeves (covers) online. Try searching for a TatJacket. They are relatively inexpensive and come in different colors and sizes.Thanks!
QuestionI only have eye shadow. Can I use that?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt will definitely be less effective and won't last as long, so I wouldn't recommend it. But it depends on how pigmented your eye-shadow is and how close to your skin color it is.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I temporary lighten my eyeliner tattoo? Are there any good pigmented cream eyeshadows without so much glitter? I'm 55 and glitter is not age appropriate.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMixing a concealer and a matte eyeshadow should give you a similar effect to a cream shadow.Thanks!
QuestionHow could I cover up a tattoo on my inner middle finger so that my parents don't see it (I live with them)? Gloves wouldn't be a good option, because I want other people to see it, just not my family.Community AnswerWear gloves when you're indoors/around your family, or stick a band aid over it (if they ask why say you got a paper cut or something). If you are going out alone or with someone who you want to see the tattoo then don't cover it up, but if you are going out with your family keep your fingers together or put your hand in your pocket.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I cover a tattoo if it is on my neck?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can wear a scarf or turtleneck, wear necklaces, or wear your hair down if you have long hair.Thanks!
QuestionHow should I cover up the tattoo on my shoulder and my chest?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPut foundation or a spot cover up stick on your tattoo. Apply lots of layers.Thanks!
QuestionIs there any jewelry that I can wear on my arm to cover a tattoo?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMultiple arm bangles might work, depending on the location and size of the tattoo.Thanks!
- Tattoo artist Kat Von D has a great line of hihg-pigment coverup designed especially for concealing tattoos.
- Don't get a tattoo of a boy/girlfriend's name because if you break up, you're stuck with it.
- Do not attempt to cover a tattoo with makeup unless the tattoo is fully healed. A fresh tattoo, or one that is just a week or 2 old, demands great care and good hygiene. Introducing makeup or excessively touching a new tattoo can irritate the area enough to harm your hard-earned artworkandcause infection.
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Português: , Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Français: , Čeština: , العربية: , Bahasa Indonesia: , ไทย: , Nederlands: , हिन्दी: , 日本語:
Video: Tattoo Coverup With Drugstore Makeup
The RIGHT Way to Quit Your Job
6 Things That Happen When You Turn 40
Interior Design Guru Alexa Hampton’s Dorm Room DecorTips
Celebrities Love Dolce Gabbana’s Star Print
These Are Officially the Cheapest Days to Go Grocery Shopping
Get Fit in 45 Minutes or Less
Labor Day Packing Guide: BeautyEdition
Alison Sweeneys Favorite 15-Minute Workout
3 Ways to Drain a Cyst
24 Chic Ways To Style Your Little Black Dress