How to Get Government Assistance for Single Mothers
Despite the fact that there are millions of single mothers in the United States, life can still be very difficult for them. Single mothers often work long hours, don't finish school, and have financial difficulties. There are, however, a number of state and federal programs that are designed to provide financial and material assistance for single mothers. By investigating and applying for these programs, you can make your life as a single mother much easier and more manageable.
Finding Low-Cost Housing
Visit the US Housing and Urban Development .The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers a number of programs to assist single mothers in finding adequate, low-cost housing. You can access these programs and other resources on the HUD website. Start here if you're a single mother trying to find government help.
Look for .On the HUD site, you'll find a link for privately-owned, subsidized housing. Once you click on this link, the process for finding low-rent housing is simple.
- Choose what state you live in.
- Enter your city, county, or zip code.
- Specify the type of apartment and number of bedrooms you want.
- You'll then get a list of government-subsidized apartments in or near your area.
Find a .The HUD site will also link you to publicly-funded housing in your area. After clicking on this link, you can find public housing close to you.
- Click on your state on the map.
- Scroll down the list to find your town or city.
- When you find your town, you'll see phone numbers of public housing programs in your area. Use these to contact programs and find affordable housing.
See if your state or local government offers rent assistance.In addition to federally-funded housing, the HUD site will also link you to programs your state and local governments may offer. If you can't find a federal program to take care of your housing needs, you can try your local governments.
- Click to find a list of the states.
- Click on your state and you'll be brought to the HUD page for your state.
- On the state HUD page, there will be options for what you're looking for. The two links that will probably be most helpful for you are "Get Rental Help" and "Subsidized Apartment Search."
Prepare the following information for when you apply for subsidized housing.Since housing assistance is often managed by the states, the process may be slightly different depending on which state you live in. However, most housing-assistance programs will require certain information, including the following.
- The name and date of birth of everyone who will occupy the dwelling, as well as their relationship to you.
- You'll need a current address and telephone number so housing offices can contact you.
- You'll have to answer certain financial questions, since government-funded housing often has a maximum income for eligible occupants. You also may have to provide employer and bank contact information so the housing administrator can verify your income.
- Contact information for past landlords.
Getting Help With Living Expenses
Apply for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) .The TANF program is designed to provide temporary financial assistance to needy families. The program provides grants to cover basic family needs like food and housing.Cases are evaluated on an individual basis, so everyone's experience will vary.
- You can click to access a list of services offered by individual states.
- Alternatively, you could call (202) 401-9275 to get further information about the TANF program.
Apply for the (SNAP).SNAP is designed to help low-income families buy good-quality food. The program is more commonly known as "Food Stamps," although the old stamps are typically not used anymore. If you're approved, you'll receive a card that works like a debit card, and works at approved locations. Follow these steps to apply for the program.
- to see if your state accepts online SNAP applications. If so, fill out the application and submit it online.
- If your state doesn't accept online application, to find where the nearest SNAP office is in your state. Go there in person to fill out the paperwork.
- After you submit your paperwork, the SNAP office may want to interview you. Schedule this right away so you can get your benefits as soon as possible. Make sure you ask the SNAP representative what paperwork you need to bring to your interview. They will often need things like government identification, social security numbers, and bank information.
Apply for the (LIHEAP).The LIHEAP is a federally-funded program designed to help struggling families pay their energy bills. Single mothers who are having financial difficulties can apply for this program to help keep their homes powered.
- There are a number of different forms you might have to fill out to apply for this program, depending on your situation. to access all the relevant paperwork you'll need.
- You can also call (202) 401-9351 for any information you might need.
Contact your state office to enforce child support collections.If your child's father owes you child support and hasn't paid, there is a state office that enforces support payments. View to find your state and get the contact information for your state child support office.
Investigate grants from the federal government.The federal government offers hundreds of grants for various reasons. Some of these are designed to help single mothers with expenses. Search to see if there are any grants that you could apply for.
See if your state offers any specific financial assistance for single mothers.States might also offer their own aid programs for single mothers. This depends on which state you live in. to see a list of assistance programs offered by individual states.
Getting Help With Education and Career Advancement
Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).The federal government offers a number of subsidized loans and scholarships through FAFSA.
- to make an account and fill out the application for federal aid.
Apply for the Pell Grant.The Pell Grant is a federal government grant to help low-income individuals attend college. As a single mother, you probably don't have much spare money to pay for college. The Pell Grant is designed to help.
- Before applying, you have to fill out FAFSA.
- The amount you'll receive from this grant depends on your situation, but the current maximum reward is ,775.
- to access the application for the Pell Grant.
- You can also use your Pell Grant for online degree programs.
Apply for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG).Like the Pell Grant, the FSEOG provides financial assistance for low-income individuals pursuing a college degree.
- Applicant must first fill out FAFSA to apply for this grant.
- Awards are based on need, but can go up to ,000 a year.
- to access the application for the grant.
QuestionCan I apply for any of these grants if I'm not a U.S. citizen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDo some research and maybe make a phone call to the providers of the Government assisstance and tell them about your situation. It is unlikely that you will be able to use the grants without citizenship.Thanks!
Can I get financial assistance as a non- citizen of USA? I am a widow in some difficulties and I need help.
I'm a single mother with 4 kids. I had to stop working to take care of my sick parents on top of the kids. I need help, and the house needs lots of work. We've been out of water for over 3 months. What can I do?
I am a single mother of 3, and I would like some help.
How can I get a new copy of my approved Section 8 paperwork?
How do I get state aid when I'm a single mom with a child?
- Also look for nonprofit organizations that can provide assistance and help you manage the maze of government agencies and application procedures. Your local United Way, Salvation Army or even someone at your church or other place of worship will put you in touch with advocates who can help.
Video: Government Assistance for Single Mothers
NUDE LIPSTICK: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOUR SKIN TONE
Essiac Tea Benefits and Side Effects
The Junior Bridesmaid – Who Is She What Does She Do
When Is The Right Time--If Ever--To Tell Your Boss You Have HIV
The Absolute Worst Way To Clean Your Ears
Queen of Como: Regal Wedding Looks for the Modern Bride
6. You provide unwavering emotional support for each other
Donkervoort D8 GTO Bilster Berg Edition
The Starter Kit for Men Who Want to Get Serious About SkinCare
Joel Edgerton Will Smith Embrace That 70s Style At The Bright Premier
How to Prepare for a Track Meet